Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Get Shacked


We are fortunate to have a wonderful and gracious friend, who, for the sake of the tale, I'll refer to as "Ella Din"(her self-chosen nom du stuff). She and her family have a vacation house in Wells, Maine that we score an invite to every year when Ella has the place solo.

We went up a couple weeks ago to spend the night. Whenever I find myself crossing into NH and then Maine, I immediately feel an immediate sense of calm and relaxation(even though I remain a fairly mellow fellow). As always, our time there was well spent in the company of fun folks, indulging in good food, drink and conversation.

I scored Thing 1 a shorty wetsuit at Liquid Dreams in Ogunquit and the young man rode his first wave on the front of the Mayo. I got in a couple of sessions, one small and closed out due to some seriously stiff offshores and the other, much bigger and closed out, due to some seriously stiff offshores. C'est la vie. Thing 1 rode his first wave!

The title refers to another of my favorite pastimes, the seeking out of the best local seafood/clam shacks in the area to sate my palate. In this case, our friend Ella suggested a spot we hadn't been to before, the Fisherman's Catch in Wells. Following the adage that the juice is worth the squeeze or, the whole taking of the path less traveled deal, Fisherman's Catch is worth looking for. I went for the handpicked lobster roll, which was as it should be, mostly meat with just a hint of mayo on a grilled hot dog roll and some seriously delicious chowder. My palette was schooled in what makes a proper chowder by no less a connoisseur than my Pops, who can taste a canned clam a mile away. I think he would've given the chowder at Fisherman's Catch the nod. The season is almost over, however, so if you're going to check it, get there soon.

I think we're going to start a "cottage fund"(in addition to a college fund). We need more time up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment