Monday, September 27, 2010

Quaffable Potions and Damn Fine Chow



Man(and wo-man) cannot live on posts about surf sessions alone. That would be boring. Hence, the occasional music or wetsuit review along with some anecdotal whimsy from the parental trenches. No. I'm sensing this online missive needs some more flave. I'm thinking that I need to wax rhapsodic about beer and restaurants.




First up....restaurants. I took my wife to Hungry Mother in Cambridge on Saturday night. Here's a tip, I don't know how long in advance you need to book a rezzie but take my advice, book one. I called before we got there at 6:30-ish and the dining room was going to be filled for a while. Their small bar section is dog-eat-dog, however and we were able to score a couple of seats at the bar.

Although, I was interested in some of their beers on tap, I acquiesced to WoEM's request that I get some wine so that she could have a sip or two(she's pregnant). As far as white wine goes, I dig the occasional Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, so our very helpful bartender recommended and let me sample the Chateau du Trignon Viognier, which fit the bill nicely. Apres that, we ordered the Deviled Chip In Farm Eggs, the featured pork plate of the day which was their own ham and a local swiss cheese on baguette, the Rocket Salad and the Cornmeal Catfish with dirty rice and mustard brown butter. Whenever I go into a place that is working a Southern/soul food vibe, I get catfish. Most of the time, there's a hint of that muddy flavor but at Hungry Mother...nix. Not too heavy on the cornmeal, spiced just right, meaty, yet mild and the dirty rice was incredible. I'm looking forward to going back. The hype is well deserved.


Beer. I was at James' Gate a while back and sampled something they had on tap by local "beer and ale project", Pretty Things. The beer is Jack D'or and I wasn't sure I liked it after my first sip but as I continued to taste it, I found myself enjoying it. Fast forward a couple of months and I decided to track it down. Thankfully, Berman's in Lexington(shout out) stocks it and I've been bringing home the occasional deuce-deuce to re-acquaint my palate. Jack D'or is Pretty Things take on a Belgian saison, also known as a farmhouse ale. I've never tried one before, but if Jack is indicative of the style...damn. It's a complex beer but extremely drinkable. Sort of peppery on the front end and very smooth on the back. I don't know that I can do the flavor justice but I will say this, if you like good beer...TRY IT.

1 comment:

  1. Jack D'Or is one of my favs! All the Pretty Things brews are certainly solid, but this is the one that holds the largest space in my memory banks. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete