Wednesday, December 16, 2009

New Year's Realizations

I'm probably jumping on the "past year" blog entry a little early but that's alright because I'm winging off to LA with my little family tomorrow. It will be my little boy's first time on a plane, which should be interesting. Thankfully, we're flying at night so we hope he sleeps.

The year started off a bit rough. I lost my job back in February. My son was five months old and we were contemplating putting in a bid on a house in Waltham(dodged a bullet). My wife has been down the unemployment road with me before and the phone call I had to make to let her know that I had been let go because my company needed to dump salaries to stay afloat hit the "worst moments in my life" list with a bullet.

The situation definitely stung until I realized that being home with my son at this important stage in his young life was a gift. I realized that I had the opportunity to take a step back and try to figure out some different career options.

In pursuing a career as a writer, I have often taken whatever jobs paid my way while I worked on my "craft". It never occurred to me that I could have an actual career in a job that I cared about and still work on my screenplays, or my novel, etc. It was the arrival of SoEM(and my layoff) that gave me new impetus to search out something not just to pay the bills but also to feed the soul. I'll let you know what I find when I find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment